Friday, July 4, 2008

First Day of Summer

Today is July 4, so it isn't really the first day of summer, but it feels like it is to me.

School got out on a Wednesday. On the following Sunday, Jim and I flew to Germany for 17 (almost) wonderful days. Nine days into our trip, my dad died. Because this trip was ALL about my dad, we continued. Flew home Tuesday, June 17. That Friday, I drove to Maine alone to deal with family stuff. Jim and the kids followed on Thursday. The service for my dad was on Friday, June 27. Jim and the kids left that night. I drove home Tuesday, July 1. Jim left for a retreat in Vermont with a group of people from church yesterday evening. Whew!

This morning, the sun is shining, the birds are chirping and I'm relaxing on my deck drinking a cup of coffee. This is the summer I long for. I'd take a picture to show you, but Jim took our camera to Vermont. The dog.

In the midst of craziness and sadness, I have much to rejoice about and be thankful for. I am.

jdm

No comments: